Saturday, February 5, 2011

Week Twenty: January 30th to February 6th




OK, so I'll be the first to admit, I have a long way to go, or grow, as it were. On the bottom, if you have even noticed, is me, with the Snow and Ice Beard in honor of the winter weather we have had much of in the past week. (We had three snow days! The Summer will now commence that much later.)
On the top, which is probably so occupying your attention you may not even be reading this text, is the absolute beard eclipse currently under cultivation by my brother. To be fair (to me) he does have at least a month-and-a-half head start on me.
The plan for these Bro-Beards is to continue growing them at least until the first weekend in May. Why, you may ask? That is the weekend we two bearded brothers will find ourselves traipsing about the slopes of Mount Snow in Southern Vermont. Late-Spring snow? No, nothing of the sort. We will be one of the many semi-psychotic teams running in the Mudder, a challenge designed to test stamina and mental fortitude. (Check it out at toughmudder.com.)
How long will these beards be by then? It is difficult to say. The tangled jaw-mane already ensnares my shirt collars, ties, and jacket zippers throughout the day. My students perpetually test the depth during our read-alouds, sinking their fingers into my jawline and marveling that they disappear up to the second knuckle. "Whoa! I can hardly see my finger anymore!" I will resist the urge to inquire about recent hand hygiene and general cleanliness....

No comments:

Post a Comment