Sunday, June 5, 2011

Week Thirty-Six: May 23rd to 29th



As Summer nears, the beard is taking over everything: serving as the facial Velcro to anything and everything in sight. It is a well-disclosed fact that the beard will reduce its size this Summer, and eventually disappear altogether. I have no desire to follow in my brother's bearded footsteps. It is his goal to make it the entire year with the beard. Mine was but to make it to Summer.



This was the last week of school for me. A strange time, to be sure, though there were some pointed questions about the beard--none offensive--though, honestly, there is little that sneaks past the beard-shroud and strikes a sensitive, albeit, hairy nerve. Then again, many would argue that I may not possess said sensitive nerve, so there would be little to worry about. At least it gave people something to talk about besides all the classroom troubles they were experiencing in the waning days. "I thought you were getting rid of that thing after the big race...?" "So, when is your big race; I'm sure you are looking forward to shaving that thing off."



No, I never said I would get rid of it after the Tough Mudder.


And, though I do, at times, look forward to shaving this beast from my face, it will be with some sliver of regret. It's hard to say good-bye to all that hard work, just as it is hard to say goo-bye to a group of kids at the end of the school year. But pay attention: if there is one thing that is certain, it is that the beard will go out in style!

No comments:

Post a Comment