Friday, September 11, 2009

Week Three: September 7th

Perhaps inspired by this, the sandwich week between the college football opener and the impending head-mashing of NFL Sunday, I present The Chinstrap! (With complimentary cro-magnon pose.) Maybe I should have had one of my daughters thrash me about the head and shoulders to make it look complete.

Not one of my strongest entries to date--at least based on the lack of notice it achieved--nevertheless, I enjoyed it, and felt the accompanying aggression surging throughout its week of semi-hirstute drapery.

One twist: it was school picture week. So, years from now, as my current students are sharing their fourth grade yearbooks with friends, they will no doubt receive one of the following two questions: (1) Dude, why the HELL did you buy a yearbook in fourth grade? Loser; and/or (2) Who was that psycho? Was that your teacher? At least I get enjoyment out of these speculations. A guy has to create his legacy somehow....

Not until Friday did one of my students notice the look, and even then only in an offhand way, as she asked, "Did you shave something?" By that time, the stubble from the intervening week had all but overtaken the 'strap. She did, however, follow it with this week's best line (delivered only moments before dismissal.) As I leaned over to point across the room to something, she glanced up at me and yelled, "Ew, you really need to shave your armpits!"

Please, don't give me any ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment