Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week Eight: October 12th

Keeping with the nautical theme established by last week's Stingray, I plumbed the watery depths in search of the bearded lord of the seas: Poseidon. Though The Trident did not gain as much notice as The Stingray--after all, the triple tines of a trident are not nearly as exciting as the barbed tail of the stingray--this look did gain notice in other ways.

Mostly, people noticed it for the small tuft of hair on my upper lip which, due to a shaving accident, came out off-center and lopsided (longer on one side than the other.) So, aside from receiving many Hitler-related comments about the mini-'stache, no one said much of anything about The Trident. Sad that the 'stache got so many nods when I only left it because I realized the sides would be taller than the middle tine without it. Curse these concept beards!

On the bright side, I did manage to secure a large number of skeptical glances from parents on Thursday night when I did a storytelling for a group of Kindergartners. Though the kids enjoyed the rhyming shenanigans, the parents held those kids close, as though there was something to fear. And that was even after I was introduced as a teacher in their district.

The following night, it came full circle as I began my yearly Halloween shows at the zoo. With this year's theme being of the pirate persuasion, this facial 'do suited that venue just fine. So, while I may look like a degenerate wannabe biker, the folks who see me pretending to be an incompetent pirate (and shush to those of you saying I should not have a difficult time being an incompetent anything) think it's just fine. We'll see what I can whip up next week, as I have something in mind for my Halloween costume and I need a solid bridging beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment