Monday, September 20, 2010

Week Three: The Shaggy

Pre-Week: I now present this week's winner...The Shaggy!

I briefly considered amending this beard to make it the Sleazy Shaggy (just mustache and thick central-chin patch) or Shaggy, the Later Years (patchy in general, possibly with some scorch marks in it from "various adventures."


But, in order to remain true to the spirit of Beard Democracy, I felt justified in keeping with the suggestion submitted by Laura (whose husband Chuck submitted the Week One winner--the first husband and wife team to score in this facial hair lottery--kudos!) This one already has the kids talking, but that will wait for another day.

Get in on the action, and the exciting, edge-of-your razor voting. You can create the next facial design as long as you submit your comment on this blog site, or e-mail me by Sunday, September 26th at 4 PM. Happy Bearding!

Week in Review: Well, the kids in my class enjoyed the "pointiness" of this beard model, though are likely too young to even recognize it as a Shaggy-inspired chin-coif. (They were all born after 2002, after all....) They also wondered, often, why I left that patch in the middle so much longer than the rest. Once they saw me fingering it and twisting it whenever listening or thinking, I think they figured that one out.

The manly scruff by the end of the week came in handy as I was once again cast in the role of evil king and old dragon, at the mercy of our daughters in our weekend reprisal of "swording." I have to enjoy that they take almost anything we do and turn it into a verb. Of course, I comply by buying them a couple of foam swords in the dollar section, maybe just to hear them continue with their swording rituals. Maybe I should be sacred that, while our older daughter plays somewhat nicely, lightly stabbing my heart and slashing at my arms to chop them off, our younger daughter attacks with a ferocity befitting her Scottish ancestry. I half expect her to whip up her makeshift kilt and taunt me before heading into battle. She orders me to the couch and then tells me to fight, only to charge through my defense and hack at my neck and face. No amount of poking with my lowly cardboard dagger is enough to ward off her onslaught. She is merciless, as she swipes at my eyes and head, slices at my neck and happily announces that she has chopped my head off. Score one for imagination, I suppose.

1 comment: