Monday, October 4, 2010

Week Five: October 4th to 10th



Pre Week: In another hotly contested race (mostly between our friend Laura and my wife, Laura--and yes, they are two different people) the former won out with the Evil Twin Chris in honor of the coming month of pseudo-evil. The early returns on this look are favorable for me, even if this particular facial coif was universally-abhorred. Last night, heading off to bed post-shower, Laura (this one would the wife-Laura) told me, "Yeah, that look doesn't really do it for you." Still working on what that means.
My students, always good for a quip or quote brought about a joyous Monday morning meeting when their banter about my change began. I will save you the witty exchanges, but suffice it to say it ended with one girl saying, "EW! Fix your face tonight, make it go away!" A former student, back to visit from high school took a look and said, "Oh my God, I just noticed your face," to which I replied, "I know, pretty awesome, huh?" As if to show all the progress since the glory days in my classroom, she fought back, "Yeah, that wasn't the word I would use to describe it...." All signs point to a good week.
Get your votes in: this week's deadline is Sunday, October 10th at 4 PM.
Week in Review: I would have been hard-pressed to come up with a more universally-loathed look on my own, so kudos to you, Laura. The girl in my class who said, "Ew, make it go away," was among the nicer things I heard about the look all week. One of my friends who, strangely, also happens to be a colleague at my school, asked me if I was auditioning looks for Halloween, and if I was planning to go as a creeper.
I didn't meet anyone who actually liked the look, so I count that as an instant classic--a hit in the offing. Each day, the kids asked when I would fix it, and did daily status checks as the "shadow" filled in around it. By the time my daughters and I attended a school-sponsored bowling event on Saturday (an event I had, yet again, NOT planned for when carving this 'stache) most of it was back to a pseudo-Indy Jones scruff look, with only a few darker patches on the chin and upper lips. Even my daughters were calling for the Chinstrap again, and that was not exactly the most popular look either.

1 comment: